Here are a few pictures from our Christmas. Enjoy!!
Friday, December 29, 2006
Friday, December 22, 2006
(Ashley, this blog post is dedicated to you...because you probably will feel uncomfortable just looking at the photo below.)
A friend of mine recently told me that she was invited to a Cuddle Party. She wasn't quite sure if that was what it was called, and she really didn't know what it was. So she researched it & sent me a link to the Cuddle Party Alabama website. Ok, take a look at this website & let me know what you think. (Be sure to look at the photo gallery!) What exactly is going on at these parties?? Those people look like a bunch of hippie tree-hugger swingers to me. I'm not sure who the guy is that started this craze - if you want to call it that - but apparently he was a very lonely man. What were his initial thoughts? "I have no significant other, child, sibling, parent, friend, dog, or cat to cuddle...I think I'll have a party & cuddle with complete strangers! That will certainly fill the void in my life."
Don't get me wrong - as humans, we do need non-sexual physical contact with other humans. But two observations about this Cuddle Party idea: 1) I don't believe much comfort will come from cuddling with complete strangers, and 2) Once again, people are trying to fill the voids in their lives with something other than God.
Of course, I'm not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with going to a cuddle party, but I am definitely saying that if you attend one, and I find out, I will definitely make fun of you.
Monday, December 18, 2006
If any of you know me, you know that I am a procrastinator. Ever since I came into the age of responsibility (whatever that means), I have procrastinated. I won't say who I most likely get that from, but it is one of my parents & he is probably reading this. :-) Anyway, today I was thinking about my procrastination and how many areas of my life it affects. So I have compiled a list of several examples. If you are not a procrastinator, you might ask the question, "Why would you put something off when you can just go ahead & do it? Wouldn't it be easier to just get it over with?" Well, yes, it would be easier. And it's probably more efficient. But that's just not the nature of a procrastinator. If you're not one, then you just don't understand, and we can't explain it to you. For me, sometimes I just work better under pressure - at the last minute. Anyway, back to my list. Keep in mind that these are just a few of the areas affected by my procrastination. I was going to make the list longer, but I never got around to it. :-)
- When I was in school, I always waited until the day before a paper was due to write it. I am convinced that it is because of students like me that teachers started checking students' work throughout a research paper or project instead of just looking at the final product. (I.E., you get separate grades for your note cards, bibliography, rough draft, etc.) One time in college, I had to write a 50-page paper, and I wrote at least 40 of the pages the night before it was due. Seriously.
- Ever since I started doing my own laundry, I wait until I either have no clean underwear or all of my favorite shirts are dirty before I wash clothes. Part of this is due to my tendency to procrastinate & part of it is because I just hate laundry.
- I don't buy groceries until we are just about completely out of food. Wouldn't it be smart of me to buy stuff before we run out? Yes, but that would actually require planning ahead. Which I don't do very well.
- Household projects seem to never get done. We have just recently moved into a new house, and there are still several things that need to be done. There is no reason why we shouldn't have all of our pictures on the wall, or all of the miscellaneous boxes unpacked, or the lawnmower out of the breakfast room. (Yes, we really do have a lawnmower in our breakfast room.) But if you walked into our house right now, that is exactly what you would find. Granted, some of that has to do with time constraints, but one might argue that I should be doing those things right now instead of posting on my blog. :-)
- Last but not least...the most applicable this time of year...Christmas shopping. This is the event that gave me the whole idea for this blog. And this is the one I am most proud of on the list. As of this past Friday, December 15th, I had only purchased for one of the 16 people on my list to shop for Christmas. And that was an online purchase, so the only reason I had already done it is so it would get here in time. So Saturday & Sunday, I shopped my little heart out. And what did I accomplish? Well, I now only have Baron to shop for. That's right - I did all of my shopping except for just a few gifts for Baron. In just 2 days. Some of you might think that is irresponsible. Some will think it is just plain foolish. I call it creative. Thank you very much. Hey - at least I didn't wait until Christmas Eve.
So for all of you procrastinators that might be reading, maybe you should stop playing around on the internet & go do something productive. I know I am. Ok not really.
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
So one of my jobs (among MANY) at the insurance agency where I work is to monitor our agency's website. Through our website, online customers can request an insurance quote. So when someone requests a quote, I receive an e-mail, and then I go onto the website and retrieve their quote request. I got a request today for a business insurance quote, and when I read what the guy wanted, I couldn't help but laugh. Here is how he explained what he needs:
Professional Insurance for Beauty business (to include Advertising injury, Personal injury, premises liability, rental damage, content, procedures, machines and product liability )to cover hair cuts, chemical services, hair & lash extensions, eyes tinting, facial services & machines, massage. Right now don't have a salon but may work as booth renter or independent contractor. Need to cover equipment and machines. Thanks.Wait a minute...what? "Right now don't have a salon but may work as booth renter or independent contractor." Come again, sir? A booth renter? Is that like, I go to the Alabama National Fair & see his booth and decide to get a quick hair extension before I get on the Alpine Bobs? Does anyone know what this means? And independent contractor...hmmm...maybe I'm just out of the whole salon loop, but does that mean you can like rent him out or something? One more thing...eyes tinting? Please tell me you meant to say "eyebrow tinting". Maybe we should stay away from this prospective client.