Friday, July 07, 2006

shiny happy people


So last night, we had a lovely dinner with our friends Jamin, Ashley, and Jon. Because of the varied personality types surrounding the table, we had a wide array of conversations throughout the evening. (Most of which will NOT be discussed outside that room. Ever.) One of the topics that came up was about overly positive people. We were talking about a particular person (who will remain nameless) who always defends people, despite their shortcomings or even blatant disregard for what is right. You know the type - they are always happy, they like everyone, and no one is ever at fault for anything they have done. Anyway, Jamin, Ashley, and Jon were all talking about how these types annoy them because they ONLY see good in people and NEVER see the bad. Baron & I just sort of sat there and listened, because I guess those type people don't bother us as much. Anyway, I got to thinking about that conversation this morning. This, as with most things, all comes back to moderation. Yes, it is great to be a positive person. Yes, it is good to defend people when others talk about them. [Ahem, Ashley...who accused me of being one of those people just because I defended someone. :-)] But as with most personality types, you don't want to take it so far as to never see when someone else is doing something wrong or harmful to others. On the other hand, you certainly don't want to be so negative and pointing out the wrong in others that no one wants to be around you. I have a couple of co-workers who are like that, and BELIEVE me - you would MUCH rather be around the goody-goody, over-the-top-positive, I'll-defend-everyone, people than the no-one-can-do-anything-right, the-world-is-against-me, you-will-walk-on-eggshells-around-me, people. (Wow, sorry for the extensive use of hyphenated adjectives.) Anyway, my point is that I would rather be around a hundred ridiculously positive people than one obscenely negative person. Positively.

5 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you on this one, although what kind of mood I'm in probably determines how much of either type I can handle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Laura. You have to have a balance. I hope I didn't come across as too harsh.

    I think Jesus was balanced. That's the whole idea that he "came from the Father full of grace and truth." (John 1) Truth reveals that something is not right. Grace reveals how you approach that fault/injustice and deal with it properly.

    And Baron is right too. Sometimes my mood (which is oft and many) determines alot.

    It was good to be with you guys last night. Lots of fun, and good food. See ya next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, none of you seemed harsh. Well, until I was falsely accused, of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got to eat dinner with Jon. How lucky. It has been 3 and a half years, I think, since I have had such an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude. didnt mean to falsely accuse you. I am sorry I aparently hurt you to the core. I know you are not overly positive to the point of annoyance or we wouldnt be friends, because as you know all too well, jamin and i are what we would prefer to be known as blunt realists. And i like to think that sometimes i see the positives too. did you put me in your coworkers category?? Jon is right. Jesus didn't let peeps fool him. He beet the pulp out of those idiots in the temple. gah.

    ReplyDelete